Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mah Nishtana this past Yom Kippur from all other days of Yom Kippur?

"I love it when a plan comes together."  Col. Hannibal Smith, the A-Team

Mah nishtana this past Yom Kippur from all other (past) days of Yom Kippur?

1) For on all other days of Yom Kippur, though I regretted my sins and flaws, I went back to them afterwards, but on this past Yom Kippur, I do not go back.

2) For on all other days of Yom Kippur, though I committed to improving in the future, I failed to do so, but on this past Yom Kippur, my commitment is lasting.

3) For on all other days of Yom Kippur, though I confessed my sins on Yom Kippur, I went back to them afterwards, but on this past Yom Kippur, I do not go back.

4) For on all other days of Yom Kippur, the Knower of the hidden could not testify that I would not return to my old ways, on this past Yom Kippur, I feel more certain that He can so testify.


ANSWER:
I was a slave to the narrow confines (מיצרים)  of the bad habits and outlooks that have slowly overtaken my soul.     But the Lord my God has brought me out with a strong hand and an outstretched arm.

A strong hand, as it says "your hand is open to accept penitents".

An outstretched arm.   To what is this likened?  To a man who falls into a pit and cannot escape.  His friend comes to save him, lies on the ground above, and reaches his hand out to pull him up.   If the man in the pit reaches out and grabs his friend's hand, he is saved.  If he does not, then he will remain trapped in the pit forever.

On all other days of Yom Kippur, your hand was strong to accept me and it was outstretched, but I did not grab it.   I regretted, I committed, I confessed.  But I did not grab Your hand because I had no plan to implement my commitments.   This year, I have a plan.  A simple plan, a basic plan.

Anger?  My plan involves reading 2 minutes of Mussar a day.    My wife is learning "Lights Along the Way", Rabbi Twersky's commentary on Mesillat Yesharim (a recommendation from Rabbi Elchanan Schulgasser), so I started using it, and I highly recommend it.

Lashon Hara?  My plan involves learning the laws of Lashon Hara 2-5 minutes a day.  I am using Ikkarei dinim, but there are a million things, including daily emails, etc., out there.

Increase chesed?   My plan involves putting in my formal schedule when I will next give blood, when I will next write checks to tzedakah.

I hope I was sincere in my regret, my commitment, my confession of Yom Kippur.  But it is the plan--made after the fact, implemented only now that the holidays are behind me--- that will determine my spiritual success.   And I expect success, with God's help.  (I will try for but do not expect 100% success--such an expectation is a recipe for failure).

May God give me the strength to implement and expand these and other good plans.   And may He say about me and about all my brothers and sisters of the House of Israel,  "I love it when a plan comes together."

No comments: